SEMSANS and Dark field imaging
A SESANS instrument with different fields in the first and second precession arm will create a lateral modulation of the neutron intensity at a position sensitive detector [1,2]. This concept opens up several interesting possibilities for neutron scattering:
- Since all the neutron spin manipulation is performed before the sample, it is possible to study magnetic samples with SESANS or to have a magnetic sample environment.
- The modulation device can be built in into a SANS instrument to measure simultaneous SANS and SESANS to cover many adjacent orders of length scale .
- By combining this with imaging one can do dark field imaging without gratings. The modulation by the magnetic fields works already as a grating.
- Combined SANS–SESANS, from 1 nm to 0.1 mm in one instrument W.G. Bouwman, C.P. Duif, J. Plomp, A. Wiedenmann, R. Gähler Physica B 406, 2357-2360 (2011) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physb.2010.11.069
- TOF-SEMSANS—Time-of-flight spin-echo modulated small-angle neutron scattering M. Strobl, A.S. Tremsin, A. Hilger, F. Wieder, N. Kardjilov, I. Manke, W.G. Bouwman, J. Plomp J. of Appl. Physics 112 014503 (2012) http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4730775
- Feasibility and Applications of the Spin-Echo Modulation Option for Small Angle Neutron Scattering Instrument at the European Spallation Source A. Kusmin, W.G. Bouwman, A.A. van Well, C. Pappas Nucl. Instr. and Meth. A 856 119-132 (2017) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nima.2016.12.013
- Quantitative Neutron Dark-field Imaging through Spin-Echo Interferometry M. Strobl, M. Sales, J. Plomp, W.G. Bouwman, A.S. Tremsin, A. Kaestner, C.P. Pappas, K. Habicht Scientific Reports 5 16576 (2015) http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/srep16576